Mommy and I went to a really yummy seminar put on by her ward releif society (notice the new link to their blog). I thought it was going to be all about how to make your food storage work better for you by storing meals you like in pre-prepared one meal bags, but instead it focused mostly on how to make some extremely easy english muffins and tortias (flower, whole wheat and corn).
I was amazed at how simple the recepies were and how quickly they were done- even better they were the most AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS SCRUMPTIOUS muffins and tortillas I have ever had! so warm and moist; and I usually hate corn tortias- but WOW! I couldnt tell the difference between corn, whole wheat and flower! I must have eaten like 6 all by myself, and Sister Waring made the bestest homade salsa and beans (note: im salavating right now just thinking about it); the class really inspired me to learn to cook more often- I hope that when I attempt to make any of these recepies that it will go just as easily.
Onto the storage part of it-
What it basically is, is that you go through your food storage list and choose as many non-perishable, easy (or not so easy), favorite meals that your family will actually eat. You then gather all the ingredients needed for said meals and distribute them into individual or family sized servings (like 2 cups of flower with a tablespoon of salt can go into a ziploc). Then you print out or make a copy of said recepie and place that and all the pre-bagged ingredients into a 2 gallon ziploc and vola! You have a meal in a bag! Best part is that the ingredients last for years and because its meals your family likes, rotation is easy. Sister Smith brought up a good point that it also teaches your kids to cook meals for themselves in case your not home.
The examples that Sister Waring brought to show were as follows:
Meal 1: Spagetti, sauce, and bread ingredients (for breadsticks)
Meal 2: Pancake mix, syrup, canned meat
Meal 3: dehydrated beans, tortia mix
Sister Waring stated a third meal in a day is not as important because you will sometimes have leftovers or can find other things to snack on or can just last until dinner in case of emergency.
More information can be found at:
provident-living-today.com
They also stressed how important water storage is. They mentioned that in case of a disaster, the city would shut off all water supply to the pipes because that is pre-treated water and the only definate way to treat new water is with clorine (which is not a good idea to store because it's presence can become hazardous)- and unlike what our mothers were taught, bleach is not a way to treat water; it is highly hazardous (plus it only has a shelf life of 2 years)
When saving for water storage, make sure that you have at least 2 gallons per person per day. It is suggested that you invest in a water pump with filters and also water purification tablets (tablets or a water pump alone do not completely make water sanitary; you need bolth).
I am excited to learn more about food storage and will try to update on the subject more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

that sounds awesome. you will have to tell me more about it.
ReplyDelete